Making Philly a real sanctuary city.
The Trump administration is the most racist, reactionary, vicious, climate denying, pro business, anti working-class administration in decades. Along with the chaos and instability coming from White House, the Republicans have been emboldened at the state and city level to carry out attacks on immigrants, women, lgbtq people, unions, worker health and safety, wages, public education, unions, and environmental regulations.
The response by millions of youth and working class people to these attacks has been magnificent. Within hours of Trump’s election victory, we took to the streets to declare that we would resist. The ongoing wave of mass protests since Trump’s inauguration have underscored the complete lack of a mandate for his right wing policies. The temporary defeat of the Muslim ban and the departure of key cabinet appointments have shown that the Trump agenda can be beaten back.
But the fight is far from over. This administration will keep pushing its agenda as we saw last week when congress voted once more on repealing the Affordable Care Act, this time passing it on to the Senate. Even more alarming, racist hate groups are seizing the political moment to come out of their holes and begin organizing in public, raising their banner and taking to the streets.
Philadelphia has declared itself a sanctuary city, that it will not cooperate with ICE on detaining suspected undocumented workers, and Mayor Kenny and City Council have said they will stand firm and defend it. This is a great first step, but to make Philly a real sanctuary city we have to go beyond simple non-cooperation with ICE and use our city’s resources to actively defend our immigrant sisters and brothers. We have to make Philly a real sanctuary city for all working people:
- No one has sanctuary without a living wage to provide for themselves and their family. Philadelphia needs $15 and a union.
- No one has sanctuary without a stable home. Philadelphia needs a massive program to rehab its crumbling housing stock, community control of development and strong tenant rights protections.
- No one has sanctuary without access to quality healthcare. Philadelphia needs Improved Medicare for All.
- No one has sanctuary without high quality public education. Philadelphia needs fair funding formula and a democratically elected school board.
- No one has sanctuary without an end to the militarization of the police, mass incarceration, private prisons and the school-to-prison pipeline. Philadelphia needs a real democratically elected police review board with full powers to subpoena, hire and fire.
When we fight together to make Philadelphia a real sanctuary for immigrants, we make it a better city for all working people.
Friday 5/19/2017 6pm
1315 Spruce St – William Way LGBT Community Center Ballroom
Confirmed Speakers To Date:
Andres Celin – Organizer with Youth United For Change*
Erika Almiron Niz – Executive Director Juntos*
Klyde Breitton – Organizer with Philly Tenants Union and member of Philly Socialists
Marty Harrison – TUHNA Executive Board Member*, 15 Now activist, and Member of Socialist Alternative